Male fertility test: what it is, how it works and how to do it
The male fertility test is used to detect whether the amount of sperm per milliliter of sperm is above levels considered normal, allowing to determine if the man has a number of sperm considered fertile. However, this is not the only parameter that determines fertility, and there may be other factors that are making pregnancy difficult.
Fertility tests look similar to pregnancy tests and can be done at home and are available in pharmacies under the names Confirme. This test is easy to use, requiring only a semen sample to obtain the result.
How it works
Male fertility tests allow, from a sperm sample, to detect whether the number of sperm is above 15 million per milliliter, which are the levels considered normal.
When the value is higher, the test is positive and means that the man has a quantity of sperm considered fertile. However, it is important for the couple to know that this is not the only indicator of male fertility and that, therefore, even if the result obtained is positive, there may be other factors that are making pregnancy difficult, hence the importance of consulting a doctor. fertility specialist or urologist, for further tests.
If the value is negative, it means that the number of sperm is lower than normal, being advised to consult a doctor, to perform other tests and, if necessary, to perform fertility treatments. See the main causes of male infertility and know what to do.
How to take the test
To perform the test, the following steps must be followed:
- Collect the sperm in a collection bottle. You must wait at least 48 hours since the last ejaculation to collect the sample, not to exceed more than 7 days;
- Allow the sample to rest in the collection flask for 20 minutes;
- Shake the bottle gently, in a circular direction, 10 times;
- Dip the tip of the pipette in the flask, collecting sample until the first mark;
- Transfer the sample to the bottle containing the diluent;
- Cap the bottle, gently homogenize the solution and let stand for 2 minutes;
- Drop two drops of the previous mixture onto the test device (which must be positioned horizontally), avoiding the formation of bubbles.
- Wait 5 to 10 minutes until the result is obtained.
After this time, the result will appear. If only one line appears, it means that the result is negative, if two lines appear, the result is positive, which means that for every milliliter of sperm, more than 15 million sperm are present, which is the minimum amount of a man considered fertile.
To perform the fertility test, a period of sexual abstinence of at least 48 hours and at most 7 days is required. In addition, the test should not be reused.
See other tests that allow you to assess a man's fertility.