5 Ways to Use Mineral Oil
- 1. Moisturizes the skin
- 2. Soothes the skin in case of burns
- 3. Enamel drying agent
- 4. Acts as a make-up remover
- 5. Moisturizes dry hair
Skin hydration, make-up remover or enamel drying are some of the possible applications for mineral oil, a very versatile and low-cost product.
Mineral Oil, also known as petroleum jelly or liquid paraffin, is a colorless fatty substance obtained by refining petroleum, which has moisturizing properties for the skin. In pharmacies this oil can also be sold for medical use, as it has laxative properties that help in cleaning the intestine, helping in the treatment of constipation.
1. Moisturizes the skin
Due to its moisturizing properties, mineral oil is ideal for moisturizing dry or cold-sensitized skin. It is especially effective in the treatment of very dry skin, due to its ability to retain water and nourish the skin quickly and effectively.
Mineral oil enters the base of the vast majority of beauty products, such as makeup, creams or products to moisturize the skin, due to its high moisturizing power.
- How to use: the oil can be applied directly to the skin, however, if it causes too much oil it can still be mixed with a moisturizing cream, for example, to increase its absorption.
2. Soothes the skin in case of burns
In cases of sunburn, mineral oil is a great resource to moisturize and soothe the skin, helping to relieve the symptoms of discomfort, redness, dryness and burning that arise after excessive exposure to the sun.
In addition, mineral oil is also ideal for calming diaper rashes, which are common in babies. In these cases, it is recommended that you look for baby mineral oil without perfumes, to avoid the appearance of allergic reactions on the skin.
- How to use: apply on the burn 2 to 3 times a day and let it air dry.
3. Enamel drying agent
Mineral oil can also be used as an enamel drier, preventing dirt from sticking to the enamel that is drying, while promoting good hydration for dry cuticles. In addition, this oil is often present in the composition of conventional nail drying oils of some known brands.
- How to use: put the mineral oil in a spray container and then spray gently on the painted nails.
4. Acts as a make-up remover
Another excellent application for Mineral Oil is that it has the power to remove makeup, effectively removing impurities from the face and eyes, while leaving the skin well hydrated.
- How to use: just pour a few drops on a cotton pad and wipe all over your face, then wash the entire region with plenty of water. To remove all makeup, you may need to use more than one cotton pad.
5. Moisturizes dry hair
Mineral oil also serves to moisturize dry and brittle hair, providing shine and softness to the hair. However, if it is used many days in a row it can leave your hair very greasy, so it is important to use mineral oil only once or twice a week.
- How to use: apply a few drops to damp hair after bathing, and apply it as an oil or comb cream.